One thing my kids beg me to make are waffles. We eat them for breakfast. We eat them for snacks. We eat them for dinner. We eat them leftover. They are so yummy! I will NEVER buy frozen waffles again. I just can’t. These are made with all healthy ingredients, so you don’t have to feel guilty about eating them.
- 2 eggs
- 2 c yogurt (plain or vanilla- can substitute some of the yogurt with buttermilk or kefir)
- 2 c whole wheat flour (I often substitute 1/2 the flour with old fashioned oats)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c butter or coconut oil (softened)
Optional add ins (choose one or more for variety)
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 T flax seed mill
- 1 c fruit (shredded apples or pear, blueberries, diced strawberries…whatever is in season)
- 1 c shredded zuccini and carrots (this is seriously my kids FAVORITE)
- 4 T unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
In a large bowl, mix together eggs and yogurt. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until moist. Last, add in the coconut oil or butter. (I do this last because the coconut oil oil tends to not clump up so much.) Put in your hot waffle iron and top with butter and pure maple syrup. Sooooo yummy!
Makes about 16 waffles (our waffle iron is a family sized one that makes 4 square waffles at a time).
*I usually double this recipe for our family of 8 (only 6 of us are eating them). That usually leaves us with a few extra depending on how hungry everyone is!
Do you like waffles? What’s your favorite way to top them? We love just yummy grass fed butter and pure maple syrup. Yummy! Leave a comment below.